-
May 29th, 2002, 12:53 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Another thread mentions a guy who sells old R8 films with the countdown leader...I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for countdown leader for Super-8! New...or used...
-
May 29th, 2002, 02:24 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Yale???? They are the only people I can think of off the top of my head. Monaco might as well. Good Luck
-
May 29th, 2002, 02:24 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Yale???? They are the only people I can think of off the top of my head. Monaco might as well. Good Luck
-
May 29th, 2002, 02:24 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Yale???? They are the only people I can think of off the top of my head. Monaco might as well. Good Luck
-
May 29th, 2002, 02:25 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Sorry--Something funky was going on with the computer.
-
May 29th, 2002, 02:35 AM
#6
Inactive Member
-
May 29th, 2002, 04:30 PM
#7
Inactive Member
The problem with all super 8 countdown leader I've seen is that it's a print, which makes it useless for cutting into original footage as the emulsion is on the wrong side. The same if you buy a commercial super 8 film and pull the leader from it. I have yet to see any super 8 countdown leader with the emulsion on the same side as original. If I thought there was really a market for it I might be inclined to create one but I think the demand is pretty limited these days.
Roger
-
May 29th, 2002, 05:02 PM
#8
Inactive Member
wouldn't it be super simple to create one yourself by printing out the leader from premiere for example and shooting it frame by frame? you'll get 10 or so of them on one cartridge, which should be enough for a while?
/matt
-
May 29th, 2002, 05:27 PM
#9
Inactive Member
In response to my inquiry to SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture Television Engineers) of May 21st:
"The only S8mm test film I have in stock is the
S8-RT -Registration Target - 400' reel - $125.00 - If you would like to purchase it prepayment is required. For you convenience, we do accept AE/MC/vISA cards. Simply fax me a valid number and expiration date and I shall begin to process your order promptly". This from Anne Seminara, T.F. Dept.,Sales Coordinator, Fax no. 914-761-5115 - tel. 914-761-1100 x 113. [email protected]
They have only 2 400' reels, and will not sell Academy leaders individually.
Re: the numbers being on the wrong side of the leader, the following from Audhttp://www.audiopostpicture.com/leader.html
"The head leader, at the beginning of each reel of a film, comprises a thread-up section that contains information about the reel’s content (such as film title, reel number, etc.). The countdown section begins with one frame that reads "PICTURE START", followed by a countdown, totaling 12 feet or 8 seconds. The last visible number of the countdown is 3 feet or 2 seconds before the beginning of the active picture, or "first frame of picture".
The Academy leader contains one number per foot following PICTURE START, with 11, 10, etc., leading to 3. As projected, numbers are UPSIDE DOWN. The SMPTE Universal leader is designed to be used primarily with videotape and features a sweep hand counting down in seconds from 8 to 2."
For useful editing software, maybe helpful in this area, try http://www.avidguru.com/
-
May 29th, 2002, 06:02 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I found this on another board:
"...leaders are available in quantity from L.G.P Cine, 231/233 Imperial drive, Rayners Lane, Harrow, Middlesex HA2 7HE, England. They list Super 8mm, White, Black, Black (mag striped) and Printed Academy leader, Standard 8mm White, Black, Cream (mag striped). The fees vary from ?1.5 to ?3.5 per 50ft."
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks